Saturday, May 4, 2013

In Case You Missed the Memo...

I'm moving....again. After 7 cross country moves in my 35 years, I am sincerely hoping to remain in the same zip code for the rest of my life. It's been a journey for sure and I'm so very thankful for each and every person that God has brought into my life. I've learned many lessons and look forward with anticipation to whatever may be around the corner. That said...a few months ago, my husband and I took a good close look at where we were and where we wanted to be. We looked at what situation would be best for our family as a whole and for each member individually. We contemplated, prayed, contemplated more and hit our knees even harder. It may be the toughest decision we've had to make for our family in our 16 years of marriage. There are so very many people we have gotten to know during our 6 years in East Texas and it truly is difficult to leave relationships without clearly knowing what may be around the bend.  We pray constantly that God's will be done and we feel certain that we are being led by Him as we prepare to relocate to Oklahoma City. After recently earning tenure and promotion with his university employer, my husband made the extremely brave decision to resign from his position in order to move our family to an area that would present each of us with greater opportunities.

He. Is. My. Hero. 

Every move has brought mixed emotions. Excitement about the future. Tears for the past. Pain at letting go of those we care about and those we see so often they feel like family. Each time it becomes more difficult. Each time the desire to grow roots becomes stronger. A rolling stone gathers no moss and this girl's stone is smooth and polished.

I need to grow me some moss.

When I reflect on the places I have lived and the people I have met, I feel the overwhelming urge to shout "Thank You!" from the rooftop. Thank each and every one - both far and wide - for being a part of my life in some form or fashion. I may not have been afforded the opportunity to live and grow in the same area for my entire life, but I've come to realize....you are my roots. My transient lifestyle has allowed me to know such diversity. Each relationship built has become part of my history - I've learned something from everyone who has crossed my path and while I may not be able to boast of a hometown per se, having you in my life is just as good as physical roots...

Perhaps even better. 

xox,
A